Monday, April 19, 2010

Reducing weight can reduce your risk of diabetes by half !

Recently Australian scientists as well as Mediplex doctors have shown that modest weight loss can make a big difference to health. It is a documented fact that overweight patients are more prone to suffer from diabetes.

This is because excess body fat triggers the production of inflammatory reactions and reduce insulin sensitivity, harden arteries and cause type 2 diabetes.

But now scientists say modest weight loss could bring down production of those attacking immune cells to the same level found in lean people.

For 55-year-old Delhi Business Man, Mr. Malhotra, the battle with weight gain began at an early age.

"My first memory of being overweight is probably in primary school when my mother and family sent me away to some friend's farm and they had lots of scones and jam and cream there," he said.

"I came back and my mother said she would have to get a new uniform for me. So I've been overweight since then.

"In 1988 I was 112 (kilograms). At that stage I started working and went up, at the worst, to 135 (kilograms)."

That is when Mr Malhotra's doctor diagnosed him with type 2 diabetes and told to him to lose weight if he wanted to avoid having to take daily injections of insulin.

So that is what he did, with the help of Mediplex Program www.mediplex.in.

"I had the surgery in November 2007 and I was 125 (kilograms) ... and I'm down to about 88 at the moment," he said.

Along the way, the advancing diabetes has been reversed.

"All my medications have been reduced in half," Mr Malhotra said.

He was one of 20 obese patients monitored for a landmark study conducted looking at the benefits of weight loss.

The Doctors at Mediplex Health conducted the study and similar results were reported at australian university.

"What we showed for the first time was that the inflammation that's in the circulation and in fat tissue that characterises the obesity that's associated with diabetes can be pretty much gutted by modest weight reduction," she said.

"I was heartened by it, deeply heartened I must say, because most people struggle so much to lose any amount of weight and here we can show a profound benefit with even a small weight reduction."

And it is cheaper than some of the options.

"People are spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars each year buying antioxidants and taking fish oils and all sorts of other things which are supposed to have anti-inflammatory action," she said.

"A little bit of calorie restriction and a modest amount of weight reduction will have a profound benefit."

While the study is an important advance for obese people with diabetes and other associated ailments, Professor Samaras says people are much better off if they avoid becoming obese in the first place.

Visit www.mediplex.in for more such results and talk to our doctors how your type 2 diabetes can be reversed.

Call at 9313520295

No comments:

Post a Comment